This is a hearty soup, that is easy to put together in a crockpot.
- 1 package of bean soup mix (20 oz of mixed, dried beans, typically comes with a flavoring packet).
- 2 Kielbasa or similar smoked sausage.
- 1 medium to large yellow onion
- 1 bunch of kale (about 2 cups finely chopped)
- 4 small to medium russet potatoes.
- 64 oz of chicken broth (two 32 oz boxes). I used unsalted.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Soak the beans overnight (this is a must if you want edible beans).
- Drain the beans.
- Dice the onion.
- Strip the leaves of the kale from the stems and finely chop the leaves.
- Dice the potatoes.
- Mix everything into a 6-quart crockpot and set it for 8 hours. Stir occasionally if you are able.
Makes ten 2-cup servings, around 400 calories per serving.